Canuck attack
It's kind of fun being the only Canadian in town. When people ask where I'm from, I'm proud to say, "Canada." Not because I'm Miss Patriotic, but because their eyes light up when I say the C-word. Ghanaians seem to like Canada for two reasons:
1. It's never in the news - which means we're never at war.
2. Everyone they've met from Canada is nice.
But the other day, my dreams were shattered.
After my programme on Thursday, Ricky and I went to get some lunch at Sparkles. As we were sipping beverages on the patio of the ex-pat infested rendezvous with a German dude named Maude, two characters pulled up.
"Ricky, look at this!" I said under my breath.
The two characters were sitting on old-school mopeds with the most ridiculous looking helmets I've ever seen. You know, ones like the Duzers wore in Fraggle Rock, but these had visors. "Probably a couple of Germans," I thought.
Maude said, "Oh Janey, that guy is Canadian!"
And then it all made sense. Of course the guy that looks like a complete tool is Canadian. I love this guy! Turns out he's from Newfoundland and is hilarious. Some argue that all Newfies are hilarious. But this guy could have his own show.
So the afternoon turned into evening and a bunch of us (Flemmish, Germans, Ghanaians and Canadians) went to a new bar called Passions. This bar is my new best friend because their music is amazing! Ghanaian music is good, but there only seem to be about 40 songs. Sounds like a lot, until they are the only 40 songs you've heard for three months running.
The Newfie told me about these good plantains so he took me to what's called a Chop Bar on the back of his moped (hard on the butt!) to get plantains and chicken for a mere 6000 cedis - about 90 cents Canadian.
I ended the night by getting a ride home from the newfie, sporting the Duzer helmet, looking like quite the tool myself, and laughing the entire way.
1. It's never in the news - which means we're never at war.
2. Everyone they've met from Canada is nice.
But the other day, my dreams were shattered.
After my programme on Thursday, Ricky and I went to get some lunch at Sparkles. As we were sipping beverages on the patio of the ex-pat infested rendezvous with a German dude named Maude, two characters pulled up.
"Ricky, look at this!" I said under my breath.
The two characters were sitting on old-school mopeds with the most ridiculous looking helmets I've ever seen. You know, ones like the Duzers wore in Fraggle Rock, but these had visors. "Probably a couple of Germans," I thought.
Maude said, "Oh Janey, that guy is Canadian!"
And then it all made sense. Of course the guy that looks like a complete tool is Canadian. I love this guy! Turns out he's from Newfoundland and is hilarious. Some argue that all Newfies are hilarious. But this guy could have his own show.
So the afternoon turned into evening and a bunch of us (Flemmish, Germans, Ghanaians and Canadians) went to a new bar called Passions. This bar is my new best friend because their music is amazing! Ghanaian music is good, but there only seem to be about 40 songs. Sounds like a lot, until they are the only 40 songs you've heard for three months running.
The Newfie told me about these good plantains so he took me to what's called a Chop Bar on the back of his moped (hard on the butt!) to get plantains and chicken for a mere 6000 cedis - about 90 cents Canadian.
I ended the night by getting a ride home from the newfie, sporting the Duzer helmet, looking like quite the tool myself, and laughing the entire way.


3 Comments:
sounds like your doing a good job there And enjoying yourself. Great combination.. Keep it up ;)
All newfies are hilarious, and now you've officially found out!
p.s cousin Aaron says hello.
Always wanted to build a highway in kansas. Hard to do around old 'Toon town, not enough open space.
p.p.s cousin Aaron says hello.
Post a Comment
<< Home