Prediction? Rain.
So I know it's gonna rain tomorrow. Forget the weathermen and the farmer's almanac. I know. I know cause I killed a spider today.
Before I went away, I was hesitant when it came to insects. I'm sure a spider doesn't even classify as an insect anyway. It's probably some sort of mammal knowing me. So I bashed a lot of insects in Ghana. My room, the bathroom, work. There were too many and they were too big to leave alone.
So today the hot water is running in the shower and I'm about to step in when I see a Daddy long Legs under the soap dispenser. Daddy Long Legs have always been my favourite spiders. I don't know if it's the name or the fact that they are so spindly they look harmless. Probably both.
"This spider looks safe," I think as I walk in to catch the hot spray. And when I think safe, I'm thinking, safe for him. "He's all right... he can hide under the soap dispenser. When I walk out, he'll Daddy Long Leg himself outta here."
But once I was covered in water, I realized that the spider was struggling. He was soaked. His legs were twitching around. It was time for some life saving. So I turned off the water and bent down, blew on him to dry him off, picked him up and put him on the bathroom sink.
He sat beside my silver ring and I watched. He didn't move.
"Come on Daddy Long Legs!" I said between blows.
Still nothing.
I put the water back on and let the shower screen steam up so I couldn't see him anymore.
"Maybe when I get out he'll be gone. He will have walked away."
I extended the shower longer than usual to give him extra time.
But when I opened the shower door...
He was still there.
Before I went away, I was hesitant when it came to insects. I'm sure a spider doesn't even classify as an insect anyway. It's probably some sort of mammal knowing me. So I bashed a lot of insects in Ghana. My room, the bathroom, work. There were too many and they were too big to leave alone.
So today the hot water is running in the shower and I'm about to step in when I see a Daddy long Legs under the soap dispenser. Daddy Long Legs have always been my favourite spiders. I don't know if it's the name or the fact that they are so spindly they look harmless. Probably both.
"This spider looks safe," I think as I walk in to catch the hot spray. And when I think safe, I'm thinking, safe for him. "He's all right... he can hide under the soap dispenser. When I walk out, he'll Daddy Long Leg himself outta here."
But once I was covered in water, I realized that the spider was struggling. He was soaked. His legs were twitching around. It was time for some life saving. So I turned off the water and bent down, blew on him to dry him off, picked him up and put him on the bathroom sink.
He sat beside my silver ring and I watched. He didn't move.
"Come on Daddy Long Legs!" I said between blows.
Still nothing.
I put the water back on and let the shower screen steam up so I couldn't see him anymore.
"Maybe when I get out he'll be gone. He will have walked away."
I extended the shower longer than usual to give him extra time.
But when I opened the shower door...
He was still there.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home